Friday, November 12, 2010

Star Man's Son


I've been on a kind of "Post-Apocalyptic" kick lately. When I was in the 5th grade,that would be 1978, I found this red book called Star Man's Son. On it was a kid with a bow and a sword and a large cat. I had just finished The Hobbit and the picture caught my attention.

What I like about this book is that it isn't your typical "Road Warrior" post-apocalyptic story. There aren't any bands of social misfits rampaging down desert roads in vehicles tricked out with sheet metal armor and machine-guns. It is a cool coming of age adventure story with themes dealing with human nature.
Set in a future America 250 years after a great "Blow up", cities are nuclear ghost towns and mutants roam the wreckage. Fors, a young man who is also a "mutant", sets out with his telepathic cat companion to prove to his community that he is worthy to take his deceased father's place and a honored Star Man.

Its a good read and if you still read to your 9 to 11 year old children, this one might be a good one. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep them interested and it could lead to some good discussions on issues like: Why do men war and How should we handle racial and cultural differences.

It is a hard book to find , being out of print. I found a later publishing renamed Daybreak-2250 A.D. on Amazon for about $5.00

No comments: